Connect with us

Space

Launch of Russia's Fastest Space Cargo Mission Yet Aborted in Final Minute

Space.com

Published

on

The Soyuz rocket carrying the uncrewed Progress 68 cargo ship is seen just one minute before Russia’s Roscosmos space agency aborted a launch attempt from Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Oct. 12, 2017. One of two umbilical towers (left) had already retracted as planned.

The Russian space agency Roscosmos aborted the launch of its fastest cargo mission to the International Space Station yet today (Oct. 12) due to “reasons yet to be analyzed,” a NASA spokesperson said.

A Russian-built Soyuz rocket was scheduled to launch the uncrewed Progress 68 cargo ship to the space station at 5:32 a.m. EDT (0932 GMT) from Site 31 at Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, but Roscosmos called off the flight in the countdown’s final minute. Progress 68 is packed with nearly 3 tons of food, fuel and supplies for the space station. The next launch attempt could occur no earlier than Saturday (Oct. 14) if the reason for today’s abort can be solved by then, NASA officials said.

“For reasons yet to be analyzed by the Russian Federal Space Agency, the launch of the Progress 68 cargo craft planned for this morning at 4:32 a.m. Central Time was scrubbed in the last minute,” NASA spokesperson Rob Navias said from Mission Control at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. “The engine ignition never occurred on the Soyuz booster.” [The Space Station’s Robotic Cargo Ship Fleet in Pictures]

Credit: Karl Tate, SPACE.com Contributor

Progress 68 was scheduled to launch on a 3.5-hour flight to the space station to test a new rendezvous technique to fly supplies (and eventually crews) to the orbiting laboratory faster. Progress cargo vehicles and Russia’s Soyuz crew capsules initially took two days to reach the space station and orbited the Earth 34 times. In 2013, Russia began flying 6-hour missions that orbited Earth just four times before arriving at the station. Progress 68 was scheduled to orbit Earth only two times before arriving at the station.

But with today’s launch abort, a rarity for Russia’s typically dependable workhorse Soyuz rocket and Progress vehicle, the launch will occur no earlier than Saturday and take two days to reach the International Space Station due to the orbital mechanics involved, Navias said. [How Russia’s Progress Cargo Ships Work (Infographic)]

“That will mean a 34-orbit rendezvous,” Navias said. “Not a two-orbit rendezvous, but a two-day rendezvous with a docking next Monday [Oct. 16].”

Assuming the cause of today’s launch abort is identified and fixed, a Saturday launch for Progress 68 would be scheduled for 4:46 a.m. EDT (0846 GMT), Navias said.

In the meantime, Russian engineers will continue to study what went wrong with today’s launch attempt.

“No reason for the launch delay has yet been given,” Navias said shortly after the launch was scrubbed.

The countdown for today’s launch using a Soyuz 2.1a rocket went smoothly straight up to that last minute, he added.

“The Soyuz 2.1a booster on Site 31 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan was fully fueled for launch and the countdown proceeded with no issues throughout the course of the early morning hours,” Navias said. “The countdown reached the final minute.”

At that time, the first of two umbilical towers retracted as planned from the Soyuz rocket, but the second of the two towers did not, Navias said. The second tower retraction is a typical indicator of the start of a Soyuz booster’s launch sequence, he added.

The Russian space agency’s uncrewed Progress spacecraft are similar in appearance to the agency’s crewed Soyuz spacecraft, but carry propellant for the space station in place of the crew capsule on the Soyuz. Progress vehicles are designed to fly themselves to the station and dock autonomously, but can be remotely controlled by cosmonauts on the station if needed.

Space.com will update this story as more information on the cause of today’s launch abort is available. 

Email Tariq Malik at tmalik@space.com or follow him @tariqjmalik and Google+. Follow us @Spacedotcom, Facebook and Google+. Original article on Space.com.

Space.com is the premier source of space exploration, innovation and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier. We transport our visitors across the solar system and beyond through accessible, comprehensive coverage of the latest news and discoveries. For us, exploring space is as much about the journey as it is the destination. So from skywatching guides and stunning photos of the night sky to rocket launches and breaking news of robotic probes visiting other planets, at Space.com you’ll find something amazing every day.

Advertisement

Space

Review — 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'

Space.com

Published

on

Mild spoilers ahead.

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
Written by Rian Johnson
Directed by Rian Johnson
Featuring Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Laura Dern, Benicio Del Toro, Gwendolyn Christie, and Peter Mayhew

Early in Star Wars: The Last Jedi, writer/director Rian Johnson’s unenviable attempt to out-middle-trilogy The Empire Strikes Back, the film picks up immediately following the last frame of J.J. Abrams’ The Force Awakens, with Rey silently offering Luke Skywalker’s old lightsaber to him, the one he lost along with a hand in the final moments of – you guessed it – Empire.

What happens next sets the tone for a film filled with moments that will both surprise and delight fans emotionally attached to the franchise, and brings balance to the … fun – serving the old and new cast in almost perfect harmony.

If judging by the trailers you think Rey (Daisy Ridley) finds Luke (Mark Hamill) in a very dark place, you’d be right – ‘old Skywalker’ is as shattered and fragile as he appears to be. But the choices Johnson and Hamill make from there lead to a signature tour de force performance, easily Hamill’s best of the entire series. Johnson pays homage to the franchise by not by giving Hamill an overly affectionate, nostalgic cameo role. Skywalker’s place in the film is a fully-realized, complicated one and in a lot of ways Johnson bravely hands the film over to Hamill, and fans reap the rewards.

Similarly, the late Carrie Fisher is given more to do here than in The Force Awakens. Somewhat ironically, her role here is to hand the baton of Resistance leadership over to Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), whose place in the trilogy is coming into view. Fisher’s larger role is still more sentimental than essential, but Johnson manages to pull a trick out of his bag moviegoers won’t see coming that, along with the final moments of Rogue One, fittingly establish Leia/Fisher as the heart of the entire franchise.

Luckily, Luke and Leia are given what’s ultimately a final moment together, giving fans that bit of fitting closure.

The film isn’t without its imperfections, however. Like Abrams’ Awakens it’s frustratingly limited to four settings, with a too-clever-by-a-half plot device more Battlestar Galactica than was probably a good idea. Finn (John Boyega), BB-8 and newcomer Rose Tico (the very appealing and welcome newcomer Kelly Marie Tran) side adventure to retrieve a plot McGuffin on a casino planet feels a little out of place and is somewhat reminiscent of the first sequel trilogy. And no, that isn’t a good thing.

But what is a good thing is the now fully-emerged dynamic between Rey and Kylo Ren/Ben Solo (Adam Driver). Both roles and both actors are noticeably more mature this time around. Rey is still searching but has a purpose. Kylo is still prone to temper tantrums but has a plan. And Ridley and Driver fully earn their place as the franchise’s now centerpieces.

To reveal any more about their actions and interactions would spoil a great deal the fun of the film. So, let’s just say May 2019 and Episode IX can’t come soon enough.

And oh yeah, the surprising final scene just may provide a clue to Johnson’s brand-new future trilogy.

The Last Jedi both hits every mark a Star Wars fan could ask, and surprises them in ways they wouldn’t know to ask. Move over The Empire Strikes Back, a new middle-trilogy standard may have been set. 

What is a Jedi? On the surface, Jedi are warriors who use lightsabers to fight for the forces of good (usually). But there’s a lot more to it than that.

Rey, star trek: the last jedi

0 of 10 questions complete

Are You a Jedi? Use the Force in Our ‘Star Wars’ Quiz!

What is a Jedi? On the surface, Jedi are warriors who use lightsabers to fight for the forces of good (usually). But there’s a lot more to it than that.

Start Quiz
Rey, star trek: the last jedi

0 of questions complete

Originally published on Newsarama.

Continue Reading

Space

SpaceX Rocket Launch for NASA Delayed to Friday for Extra Inspections

Space.com

Published

on

A file photo of a SpaceX Dragon spacecraft atop its Falcon 9 rocket ahead of a launch to the International Space Station from Space Launch Complex 40 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. SpaceX will launch its next Dragon mission for NASA on Dec. 15, 2017.

SpaceX has again pushed back the launch of a used Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule filled with NASA cargo — this time to no earlier than Friday (Dec. 13) — for extra inspections and cleaning after engineers detected particles in the booster’s second-stage fuel system..

A SpaceX Falcon 9 booster and Dragon spacecraft — both making their second flight — were scheduled to launch a delivery mission for NASA from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida on Wednesday (Dec. 13). But the need for more ground-system checks forced SpaceX to push the launch to Friday at 10:35 a.m. EST (1535 GMT).

“SpaceX is taking additional time for the team to conduct full inspections and cleanings due to detection of particles in 2nd stage fuel system,” NASA officials wrote in a status update. “Next launch opportunity would be no earlier than late December.”

It is the second launch delay in two days — and third overall — for the SpaceX mission, which is called CRS-13. (CRS is short for commercial resupply service.) The mission was originally scheduled to launch Dec. 8 . Last week, SpaceX delayed the flight to Tuesday (Dec. 12), then pushed it back another 24 hours to Wednesday late Monday night.

This mission will be the 13th delivery flight to the International Space Station for NASA by SpaceX under its resupply contract with the agency. The Dragon spacecraft will deliver nearly 4,800 lbs. (2,177 kilograms) of food, supplies and science gear — and maybe even some Christmas presents — for the station’s astronaut crew.

In a first for SpaceX (and NASA), the mission will launch using a previously flown Falcon 9 first-stage booster, as well as a used Dragon space capsule. SpaceX has flown a used Dragon cargo ship for NASA once before (during a June delivery mission) and has launched three used Falcon 9 boosters to date (all within this year).

But SpaceX has never flown a used Dragon and Falcon 9 booster together. The company has landed 19 Falcon 9 boosters as part of its ongoing reusable rocket program to reduce the cost of spaceflight.

The upcoming mission will also mark SpaceX’s return to launches from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station following a September 2016 explosion at the launch site. SpaceX spent the last year conducting repairs and upgrades to the launch site. In the interim, the company flew Falcon 9 missions from the nearby Pad 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center — which SpaceX leases for commercial launches — as well as a West Coast launchpad at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

Email Tariq Malik at tmalik@space.com or follow him @tariqjmalik and Google+. Follow us @Spacedotcom, Facebook and Google+. Original article on Space.com.

Continue Reading

Space

Trump's Moon Directive Earns Praise from NASA, Others

Space.com

Published

on

President Donald Trumped signed a new space policy directive Monday (Dec. 11) ordering NASA to work toward sending humans to the moon and, eventually, Mars.

As he signed the new directive at the White House, surrounded by several astronauts and other dignitaries, the president said that the order would “restore American leadership in space.”

Experts across the space industry showed overwhelming support for the new directive, formally known as Space Policy Directive 1 (SPD-1). Here’s how they reacted. [From Ike to Trump: Presidential Visions for Space Exploration]

President Donald Trump speaks before signing the Presidential Space Directive – 1, directing NASA to return to the moon, in the Roosevelt room of the White House on Dec. 11, 2017.

Credit: NASA/Aubrey Gemignani

Acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot

“NASA looks forward to supporting the president’s directive strategically aligning our work to return humans to the moon, travel to Mars and opening the deeper solar system beyond,” acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot said in a statement. “This work represents a national effort on many fronts, with America leading the way. We will engage the best and brightest across government and private industry and our partners across the world to reach new milestones in human achievement. Our workforce is committed to this effort, and even now, we are developing a flexible deep-space infrastructure to support a steady cadence of increasingly complex missions that strengthens American leadership in the boundless frontier of space. The next generation will dream even bigger and reach higher as we launch challenging new missions, and make new discoveries and technological breakthroughs on this dynamic path.”

Lockheed Martin

“We support the president and vice president’s vision and commitment to return America to the moon,” Lockheed Martin officials said in a statement. The aerospace engineering company is a contractor for NASA and is currently working on the Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle that will carry astronauts beyond Earth orbit. “A lunar mission with today’s technology would further our understanding of the moon’s history and resources. And it will build a strong foundation that will not only accelerate the U.S. to Mars and beyond. It will foster a thriving new space economy that will create jobs and drive innovation here on Earth. With the Orion deep-space vehicle and our prototype orbital lunar habitat making outstanding progress, we are ready to help the nation achieve this bold new vision.” [In Photos: President Donald Trump and NASA]

Eric Stallmer, President, Commercial Spaceflight Federation

The Commercial Spaceflight Federation (CSF) “applauds President Trump for signing Space Policy Directive 1, which directs NASA to partner with the U.S. commercial space industry to return Americans to the moon,” Eric Stallmer, president of CSF, said in a statement. “The U.S. commercial space industry has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in private capital to develop innovative capabilities for lunar transport, operations and resource utilization. CSF recommends that the administration challenge NASA to leverage these commercial capabilities to generate greater efficiency, and to partner with industry through flexible, innovative contracting approaches to achieve the goals set out in Space Policy Directive 1 as quickly as possible.”

Coalition for Deep Space Exploration

“The Coalition for Deep Space Exploration (Coalition) welcomes Space Policy Directive-1 (SPD-1) signed today by President Trump, formalizing the commitment made by the administration during the first meeting of the National Space Council to reinvigorate America’s deep-space exploration program,” officials with the coalition said in a statement.

“After 45 years, it is time to return humans to the region of the moon even as we look toward Mars,” CEO Mary Lynne Dittmar said in the statement. “The Coalition is proud to support NASA and to help bring about this exciting future. We congratulate the Trump administration on its bold vision and commitment to American leadership in space. … NASA’s flagship programs for human space exploration — the Orion crew vehicle and the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket — supported by ongoing research on human health and performance conducted on the International Space Station — will take a major step to fulfilling this vision beginning with Exploration Mission 1 targeted for late 2019.”

Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas)
House Science, Space and Technology Committee Chairman

“By signing this directive, President Trump has again shown that, under his administration, America will be a leader in space exploration,” U.S. House Science, Space and Technology Committee Chairman Lamar Smith said in a statement. “Going back to the moon as the precursor to further exploration will enable NASA to test new systems and equipment critical for future missions, like the human exploration of Mars. Going back to the moon achieves more than just the practical benefits; it will teach our children and grandchildren to dream big and strive to achieve what others think impossible. The innovations, inventions and ideas that they come up with, inspired by exploring the moon and Mars, will fuel future aspirations to explore worlds beyond Mars. This administration’s dedication to space is a refreshing change from the past eight years.”

Brian Babin, (R-Texas)
House Space Subcommittee Chairman

“By signing this space policy directive and refocusing America’s space program on human spaceflight exploration, the president has ensured America’s leadership in space and prioritized our return to the moon and future manned missions to Mars,” House Space Subcommittee Chairman Brian Babin said in a statement. “Under the president’s leadership, we are now on the verge of a new generation of American greatness and leadership in space — leading us to once again launch American astronauts on American rockets from American soil.”

Email Hanneke Weitering at hweitering@space.com or follow her @hannekescience. Follow us @Spacedotcom, Facebook and Google+. Original article on Space.com.

Continue Reading

Trending